We finally had some wonderful spring weather on the weekend, so I had an opportunity to get outside and get some of those outdoor projects taken care of. I spent the entire day catching up on all those jobs that I could only think about all winter long, and I enjoyed it!
I had a radio on for most of my time outdoors, as that along with the sunshine and fresh air makes the work seem more like play. I had my regular radio station on; it’s rock/classic rock for me on most days. I wasn’t thinking about anything related to gender or cross-dressing at all when all of a sudden “Lola” comes on the radio. Yes, that’s L-O-L-A, Lola.
I stopped what I was doing and sang along like it was the National Anthem playing.
When it was over, I had a Val South smile on my face and began thinking of other songs related to cross-dressing or other gender bending, and began to put them in a “Top Ten” list in my mind.
Half way through I thought I had should write this list down on my blog, so here it is. Val’s list of the top CD’ing songs:
10. “What It Feels Like For A Girl” – Madonna… not a big Madonna fan, but you just can’t resist lyrics like “But secretly you’d love to know what it’s like. Wouldn’t you? What it feels like for a girl.”
9. “Dude Looks Like A Lady” – Aerosmith… I am a big Aerosmith fan, especially the older material. Truth is I am sort of tired of this song, which was grossly overplayed when it came out, but it does get straight to the point… Dude does look like a lady!
8. “Get Back” – The Beatles… “Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman, but she was another man…” poor girl, I know the feeling…
7. “Sweet Transvestite” – Tim Curry… from the Rocky Horror soundtrack. Great sing along tune (no gay/show tune comments please)…”I’m just a sweet transvestite, from transsexual, Transylvania”
6. “Strange Night” – Heart… big Heart fan. Just a song about a woman dressing up her man and taking “her” out for a Strange Night. Sounds good to me!
5. “Ob La Di, Ob La Da” – The Beatles… Last verse…“Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face, and in the evening she a singer with the band”. Just remember…” Ob La Di, Ob La Da, life goes on, bra!”
4. “Rebel, Rebel” – David Bowie… Mr. Bowie is sort of a classic rock gender-bender in his own right. Songs not really about a cross-dresser, but I always loved the line “You’ve got your mother in a whirl, she’s not sure if you’re a boy or a girl…”
3. “As Girls Go” – Susan Vega…this song actually gave me goose-bumps the first time I heard it…”What happened to you, to make you more girl than girls are?” Damn good question Susan!
2. “Walk On The Wild Side” – Lou Reed… what a classic! “Plucked her eyebrows on the way, shaved her legs and then he was a she, she says hey babe, take a walk on the wild side”. Thinking about it makes me start singing “Do-da-do-da-do-da-do-do-do…” over and over.
1. “Lola” – The Kinks… the one and only, greatest CD/TG song in my mind!
“Girls will be boys and boys will be girls,
It’s a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world,
Except for Lola. Lo Lo Lo Lola. Lo Lo Lo Lola.
Well I’d left home just a week before
And I’d never ever kissed a woman before
Lola smiled and took me by the hand
She said, “Little boy, gonna make you a man.
Well I’m not the world’s most masculine man
But I know what I am and I’m glad I’m a man
And so is Lola.
So there it is… As soon as I put this list together, I thought of a few more, but still think this is the “Top Ten”. Kind of fun to put together and share. If you have a favorite that didn’t make my list, please let me know in the comments. If I don’t know it, I will definitely check it out!